Client: Kier Partnership Homes /BM3 Architects/Sandwell Borough Council
Kier appointed Moore Environment to work alongside BM3 architects in preparing landscape strategies and detailed design proposals for eight new housing across the Sandwell Borough in association with the Council.
The landscape strategies involved identifying key issues for sustainability, taking into account relevant planning policies and aspirations for the sites.
All areas were designed in accordance with the principles of Secured by Design and the Code for Sustainable Homes level 3 and followed recommendations by the project ecologists. Proposals included:-
- Incorporation of public open spaces containing areas for natural play, sustainable drainage features such as swales and balancing ponds, native planting, species
- rich grassland, public art, informal paths, seating and welcoming entrance gateways.
- Private front gardens with low maintenance planting, dwarf walls, knee rails, hedges or railings.
- Private back gardens with patios, clothes drying facilities, areas for refuse, recycling, compost and water butts.
- Amenity space for apartments designed with ornamental shrubs to screen car parking, patios and arbors with climbing plants.
For more information please download our case study