Client: Bovis Homes
Bovis Homes appointed Moore Enviroment to assist them with a planning application for a proposed residential development on the former St Margaret’s Hospital site at Nether Hall which formed part of the historic Great Barr Park near Walsall in the West Midlands. As part of the planning conditions for the development, Bovis were required to restore Great Barr Park from its existing derelict condition, including remnant areas contained within undeveloped parts of the proposed residential area.
The detailed landscape proposals included:-
- Selected areas within woodland zones opened up provide views to interesting built features within the Park and recreate panoramas from the original park design.
- Species used in replanting to echo historical compositions, enhance biodiversity and improve amenity value.
- Development of an access strategy to serve the new residential area, the local and wider community and potentially link with other strategic footpaths.
- Removing the Holbrook water course from its modern culvert, and allowing it to create marshland meadows in line with the historical setting of the site.
- Incorporating a weir to retain the historically and locally noted ‘Duckery’ pool and wet woodland.